Friday, November 22, 2019

Thanksgiving 2019 - update

Continuing in the vein of "how does the story end" (Jan 2019) #1 and #2 continue to mature and achieve. It would have been a great comfort 17 years ago to see #1 vault the 36" box jump at our family CrossFit Box. I didn't think he could jump that high. Wrong.

I guess I gave away the story there. After about a year of working with a personal trainer who is also a CrossFit coach #1 joined my box. He has done better than my fondest hope. Not least because coaches have hit just the right tone ... friendly, supportive, but also treating him much like every other adult. Same for our athletes. The power of expectations is hard to overstate.

And ... special hockey volunteer, plays adult rec hockey with me, works with and rides horses, special  olympics snowboarding, power lifting, golf, summer bicycling, works two part-time jobs ...

#2 had his best grade ever on a college exam. His studying is better. Started working in a minimum wage job filling popcorn bags but tells me he doesn't mind the boring work, likes using his hands, likes the money. Managed a challenging problem while working with a supportive teacher that would have melted him a year ago. Taken on a mentoring and support role with his special hockey colleagues. Continues his Tae Kwon Do training.

Both gentlemen are a pleasure to be with.

No comments: